It often feels like successful people or idols around you are carrying their own “secrets to success” that are unattainable or just out of your reach. However, while each successful person may have their own unique approach, there are a few common rules you can employ into your everyday life so that you become your own hero! If you want to emulate the successful habits of your idols around you, read on for our six things that all successful people do.
- They show up on time: When you rush to work or show up late, you start the morning in a state of stress. Wake up on time- don’t hit snooze! Eat a healthy breakfast and give yourself enough time to get to work
- They review their to-do list and prioritize: It’s vital to put the most important tasks first. Though the least desirable but crucial projects are easy to put off first thing in the morning, your energy is strongest then, so that’s the ideal time to confront them.
- They visualise success: By envisioning the positive outcomes of various projects, you can work backward and determine the necessary steps to get to your desired results.
- They strategically check emails: Be efficient with email. Use the first 10 minutes of the day to quickly scan and prioritise your inbox - but read and answer your emails later in the day. Any important emails that come through, action them immediately and then go straight back to what you were doing before, don’t dwell in your inbox.
- They anticipate distractions: We all face some of the same distractions at the start of the day, and recognizing them is the first step to mitigating them. Make sure you have a strategy in place to combat distractions, for example closing your diary or other tabs on your desktop to focus on one task for a specific amount of time.
- They say “no”: if your boss needs you, that is clearly an exception, but if you have crucial calls to make or meetings to attend, then be diplomatic and politely say “no” to colleagues by offering to engage at a later time. It is crucial to prioritise work tasks, or even ask for help when you need it.
While each successful person may have their own unique approach, there are a few common rules you can employ into your everyday life to succeed.